The backlinks to a web page are very important elements to improve your web positioning since they are directly related to the domain authority and the page authority. The greater domain authority, the more prestigious a page will have on the Internet, so Google will position it in a better place in its ranking, considering that it is useful and offers valuable content to users.
Knowing how to measure domain authority is essential to be able to establish the best link-building strategies to get quality inbound links that increase that authority, and therefore, improve the web positioning of the site.
Table of content
What is domain authority?
The domain authority represents the prestige that a website has on the internet and is measured with different indicators developed by different companies, SEOMoz being the most popular. Knowing the domain authority can assess the credibility of the content of a website, as well as the trust that users have in that website.
The domain authority according to Moz is measured on a scale of 100 , where the higher the figure, the greater the domain authority. The most prestigious websites that occupy the top positions of Google’s SERPs have a high DA, and some like Wikipedia, Amazon, or Marca have DAs higher than 90 points.
inbound links to the page are key to increasing domain authority, especially if they come from websites with high authority. It is not only important that the link that points to the site comes from a website with a high DA, but that the subject matter of the linked content is related or has coherence.
Differences between domain authority(DA) and page authority(PA)
The domain authority (DA) is associated with the main or home page of a website, while the page authority or page authority (PA) is the authority indicator of each of the URLs that make up that website.
For example, the main URL of a page may have a domain authority of 45 and its various pages have different page authority. The usual thing is that the home page of a website has a greater number of inbound links and, therefore, its authority is higher than that of the rest of the URLs on the site.
What is the transfer of authority?
To understand how domain authority is gained or lost it is necessary to understand the concept of transfer or transfer of authority. When a page includes a link to another website there is a small transfer or link-juice of your domain authority. In this way the page that receives that inbound link acquires part of that prestige or authority.
Why should I have a high authority?
How can I improve domain authority?
Apostar por contenido de calidad
The best way to get other prestigious sites to link to the web is to have a good content strategy. Offering blog posts or pages with high-quality content that seek to offer the user relevant and interesting information will by itself get many other websites to include links to that content.
With this technique, an economic payment is made to make a publication on a prestigious website, being able to include in it one or more links to the desired page. Investing money in this type of strategy has a high return on investment since it is not easy to get links from websites with high domain authority.
In web portals such as Publisuites, it is possible to find websites that offer this type of service and thus select pages to include links that can transfer part of that domain in exchange for financial compensation.
Transfer of authority internally
Internal linking is important to improve the user experience and make it easier for Google bots to understand the content and structure of the web so that they can index it in better positions. This internal linking is also key to transfer authority internally .
Finding a good balance is the key to optimizing the transfer of internal authority of a website. Having at least one internal link on every page or blog post is a good strategy to ensure internal transfer of authority.
Use social media
Currently, social media are one of the most important communication channels. With a good social media strategy, you can increase your domain authority by advertising the web on different social media, getting many followers to share that content.
Making it easier for users to share content by adding buttons for different social media is a great alternative to get them to share that content and help increase the authority of the site.
Avoid low-quality backlinks
A very important aspect of increasing domain authority is avoiding low-quality links or from toxic or spam websites . These links will not improve authority, but may even penalize it.
Tools to know the domain authority
To measure domain authority, it is best to use the MOZ’s own tools, and specifically, the Moz Toolbar web browser plugin or extension . It is a bar that can be incorporated into Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox that offers information on domain authority and page authority.
When activating the Moz Toolbar in the web browser, a bar will be available at the top of the address bar. This bar will show information related to the authority of the different pages that are being visited.
The information offered by the Moz Toolbar is:
- The value of the domain authority (DA) or the page authority (PA) of the website.
- The number of inbound links that go to that URL.
- The percentage of spam of these links, that is, the percentage of links that are negative for domain authority.
Metrics to know the authority of a domain
Different metrics are used to measure domain authority, depending on the company or entity in charge of the assessment and classification. Among the most important we have:
DA and PA from MOZ
- DA . The domain authority or domain authority represents the authority value of the main or home page of a website.
- PA . The page authority or page authority is the authority value of a specific URL.
TF and DF by Majestic
- Trust Flow (TF) . This value is determined by taking into account the traffic of a URL, the relevance of the site and the links that point to it. This value is represented on a scale of 100 (the higher the value, the better authority).
- Citation Flor (CF) . It represents the number of links that point to a website, regardless of its quality. Ideally, with these two Majestic metrics, TF should be higher than CF, which indicates that most links are of high quality.
DR and UR by Ahrefs
- Domain Rating (DR) . This Ahrefs indicator measures the strength or popularity of a website, using a value ranging from 0 to 100. Similar to Moz’s DA.
- URL Rating (UR) . To measure the popularity or authority of a specific URL on a website. Similar to Moz’s PD. To calculate these metrics Ahrefs takes into account a series of factors such as:
- The number of pages that have at least one dofollow link to the web or page.
- The DR value of the domains that link to the web or page.
- The total number of links on the web that links.